Sunday, March 11, 2012

a hello from the vintage perspective's post - Online vintage entries

The Story
Recently
a hello from the vintage perspective's post - Online vintage entries
Mar 12th 2012, 02:18

for my very first post here on the vintage bulletin, i thought i'd introduce myself and talk a bit about what drives my passion for vintage fashion and design.

for some people, style comes totally naturally and from the day they're born (it seems), they float from place to place looking effortlessly glamorous and unnervingly chic. for the others of us, well, we need a little help.

my help came from my grandmother who everyday, rain or shine, picnic or party, fixing dinner or fine dining, always arrived on the scene dressed to a t. a perfectly crossed, scrolling, scripted t.

she didn't have the most expensive clothing on the block, but what she had was absolutely timeless and perfectly tailored. i remember watching her move about the kitchen in her intricately smocked aprons and pleated skirts; i'd watch and wonder, "how does she do it every single day?"

though i didn't silently wonder for long. eventually i asked for some style guidance, and boy am i glad i did. it was sort of like tim gunn's guide to style except 15 years beforehand and hosted by a 70 year old woman. she talked about shapes and patterns, where you want something to cinch or float, seasons, colors, accessories, heel height, skirt length, and on and on. it was as if she'd just been waiting to tell someone everything she'd learned over the years (and she probably had been).

i listened intently, but i didn't take notes. though maybe that's a good thing because in all honesty, i don't want to dress exactly like a 70 year old woman. i wear white shoes year round and seldom button blouses all the way to the top. i mix plaids and patterns and have been known to, when the mood strikes me, raise a hem above my knee. but i did listen; i listened and i used her guidance to begin construction on my own style foundation.

ok, where does vintage fashion enter into this equation? good question. well, who out there learned to drive on a classic car? like a manual transmission [fill in the blank]. an old beetle maybe? a volvo station wagon with a shifting column like a semi truck's? a 1972 alfa romeo berlina? (don't tell me, i'll be too jealous).

it's hard to drive anything else after that, right? i learned to drive on a 1985 saab 900 turbo and when it came time for me to purchase my own car for the very first time, i bought a 1987 saab 900 hatch. and that was about four years ago.

now here's where i compare my grandmother to a car so bare with me for just a moment:

when you learn the basics from a classic, it's difficult to accept its modern counterpart. i built a fashion foundation on the words of a woman who, to me, represented the epitome of classic, timeless, cool and i value her well worn leathers, perfectly tailored dresses, and weathered costume jewelry more than any modern clothing you can present me with. i actively seek out vintage items and love to share what i find with others.

on that note, i've just recently brought my own collection to etsy and i hope you enjoy looking around my store. i'd love to hear your thoughts on my shop or this post, your favorite style icons or your student driver vehicle!

-vp

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this feed at blogtrottr.com.

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe from this feed, or manage all your subscriptions