Monday, May 28, 2012

Koalas are not bears! « Drew's Soapbox

The Story
Recently
Koalas are not bears! « Drew's Soapbox
May 29th 2012, 01:09

One thing my wife and I always debate about is koalas. She loves the furry little things, and quite frankly, who doesn't?

Anyway, like many people in the world, she was brought up to believe that koalas are bears… thus the commonly used but incorrect term "koala bear".

I grew up in Australia, and the second thing they teach you in schools there (after spelling Australia) is that koalas are marsupials… NOT bears. They might look like bears, but they're not related to bears. Just like how Zooey Deschanel is not related to Katy Perry.

Katy Perry and Zooey Deschanel

They look alike, but they're not bears

I've told wifey this several times, and pointed out credible websites and sources that irrefutably state that koalas are not bears.

But the moment any shred of evidence comes up that koalas might actually be bears, she'll latch onto it and shove it in my face while yelling "SEE!?! Koalas ARE bears after all!" It doesn't matter to her if the "evidence" might be a badly worded poster or some children's story book; she just wants so badly for koalas to be bears.

One recurring piece of "evidence" for her case is a song by Tegan and Sara called My Number – about 1:36 into the song.

Closed down the last local zoo
I'm gonna win the endless war
Over who kills the last koala bear
And who in death will love him more and I

You see, wifey and I totally adore Tegan and Sara – so she's going to use that against me forever. "If Tegan and Sara says it's a koala bear, then it must be true!"

But they're Canadian! What do Canadians know about Australian wildlife?

koala koalafications

Possibly the funniest image I have seen in months!

Anyway, we were just watching Tegan and Sara's concert DVD last night, and I was supposed to be working on a press release but I was completely glued to the TV because they're just so funny and awesome.

As such, I'm in a real Tegan and Sara mood, so every post this week will include some kind of Tegan and Sara reference! Yay!

Like this:

One blogger likes this post.

  • Tracie Louise

3D animator by day, blogger and freelance copywriter by night. I love videogames, movies, my wife and my dog (in no particular order).

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this feed at blogtrottr.com.

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe from this feed, or manage all your subscriptions