Monday, November 19, 2012

Whitney Cummings Was Told She “Wasn't Pretty Enough” - The Frisky


celebs






Whit Slams Jerkwad



Whitney Cummings responds to a comment about "peak vagina" on TV. Read More »



In Defense Of ...



... "Whitney," a mediocre show that should be allowed to be mediocre. Read More »



Whitney Talks Comedy



Whitney Cummings on why it's okay for a woman to be pretty in comedy. Read More »




quotable


whitney cummings in new york





“I remember my agent at ICM at the beginning of my career telling me that I wasn’t pretty enough, that I was always going to be a quirky sidekick. And he was an ogre of a man. He should have been carrying a torch. If he was in a bar, he couldn’t have come near me, and then he was deciding my fate.”



Whitney Cummings in New York magazine on an ex-agent telling her she wasn’t pretty enough to play anything other than Zooey Deschanel roles. And now Zooey has her own show, and so does Whitney, so who has egg on their face now, ogre-agent man? Ironically, Whitney Cummings gets a lot (a lot) of flack for ‘only being successful because she’s hot.’ So what is it: too hot or not hot enough? (Neither! You can’t win!)


After the jump, another quote from Whitney about criticisms that she and her characters on “Whitney” (on which she stars) and “Two Broke Girls” (which she created) are not “good for women.”



“I wasn’t trying to make a perfect character who has it all figured out. I’m interested in flaws. We’re allowed to have flaws. To me, the idea that women aren’t allowed to have flaws is the most anti-­feminist thing imaginable. Plus, I’m someone who just put two shows on the air with strong female leads, and I’ve got a writers’ room here with half women and half men. I’m inherently very good for women, or certainly well-intentioned for women.”



Truth. I’d rather watch “Whitney” and “Two Broke Girls” and joke about sluts than wait around for “Two And A Half Men” to have its feminist awakening, you know?


[NYMag.com]


Contact the author of this post at Jessica@TheFrisky.com. Follow me on Twitter.





Source:


http://www.thefrisky.com/2012-11-19/whitney-cummings-was-told-she-wasnt-pretty-enough-for-hollywood/






The News from http://cooleyzooey.blogspot.com