Friday, December 21, 2012

Favourite Five: Christmas Films « walkingtheboards


It’s the hap-happiest season of all!


CHRISTMAS!


It’s my favourite time of the year (besides Awards season and Spring in Japan, oh, and my Birthday). Tis the season to be jolly with family and friends. It is the season of love and spreading the love. Christmas is many wonderful things, decorating Christmas trees, buying presents and wrapping them, visiting the Christmas windows in the City, going to a performance of “The Nutcracker”, watching the Carols by Candlelight Christmas Eve and attending midnight Mass. Not to mention the food! And drink!


Christmas to me means family and spending time with them. I spent two Christmas’ away from my family when I lived in Japan and they were hard. I desperately wanted to be home. Luckily, I was surrounded by an amazingly supportive cast and we celebrated an “Orphans Christmas” together with mulled wine and rum balls. Before we knew it we forgot what we were sad about. But honestly, I would never miss Christmas with my family again if I didn’t have too.


Despite living in Australia, my family has always had a hot lunch Christmas day (it must be our Scottish heritage). However, we do snack on seasoned stone fruit post lunch (very Australian). I have always dreamed of a White Christmas (alas, it did not snow when I was in Japan). I can’t think of anything more magical than snow falling on Christmas Eve. To fulfil all our White Christmas fantasies I have compiled a list of my “Five Favourite Christmas Films” for you this festive season.


1. The Snowman (1982) – Originally a children’s picture book without words by English author Raymond Briggs, it was adapted into a 26 minute animated short film in 1982 and was nominated for an Academy Award. The Snowman is touching story of a young boy who builds a snowman that comes to life at the stroke of midnight. A friendship develops as they journey on an adventure to the North Pole. Accompanied by a stunning soundtrack the fine animation is bought to life. I remember watching this film on the television many times growing up. It is truly beautiful. And apparently there is sequel, “The Snowman and the Snowdog” premiering this Christmas Eve to celebrate its 30th anniversary.


2. Batman Returns (1992) – It is a Christmas movie and I will fight anyone who challenges me (just give me a minute to don my cape and cowl). Yes, my inner nerd has been revealed. I do love a good superhero film and this one does not disappoint. Michael Keaton as the caped crusader, Michelle Pfeiffer head to toe in a leather catsuit running around with a whip (every girl’s secret alter ego) and Danny Devito as the infamous villain. Add a dash of Christmas and Tim Burton’s ingenious mind and you have not only a great action film but a great Christmas film too. And don’t forget “Mistletoe can be deadly if you eat, but a kiss can be even deadlier if you mean it”.


3. Edward Scissorhands (1990) – Another Tim Burton Film, I am a fan, that man has a magical mind. The film opens with a grandmother telling her granddaughter why it snows. Johnny Depp portrays the artificial man Edward, the unfinished creation who has scissors for hands, Dianne Wiest plays our favourite Avon saleswoman and suburban mother to Winona Ryder’s character and Edward’s love interest. The film is a masterpiece from start to finish, makeup, costumes, sets and a stunning original score leave you teary eyed and the strongest urge to dance in the snow.


4. Elf (2003) – Judging by the last three films I clearly like a good drama, so here’s a comedy that is sure to spread some christmas cheer, apparently the best way is singing loud for all to hear! Buddy (Will Ferrell) is one of Santa’s elves who learns of his true identity as a human and ventures to New York City to meet his biological father, hilariously spreading christmas cheer in a world of cynics as he goes. This one is a Christmas winner. Why? Because it encourages singing. Loudly. One of my favourite comedic actresses Zooey Deschanel (Yes Mum, Bone’s sister) sings in the film (and if you like her amazing voice as much as I do, you should totally buy her album “A Very She and Him Christmas”). Naturally, the film has been made into a Broadway Musical.


5. Love Actually (2003)Love, love, love! Set primarily in London, the film begins five weeks before Christmas and is played out in a weekly countdown until the holiday, followed by an epilogue that takes place a month later. An ensemble cast of leading British actors tell interlinked romantic comedic stories of different aspects of love. This film just makes me happy thinking about it. Too many fantastic scenes are coming to mind. If you haven’t seen this film yet, you must and see that “love actually is all around”.


Honourable mentions… The Holiday, Home Alone 1, 2 and 3, The Nightmare Before Christmas, The Santa Clause, Jingle All The Way, National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation and Die Hard.


MERRY CHRISTMAS!





Source:


http://walkingtheboards.com/2012/12/22/favourite-five-christmas-films/






The News from http://cooleyzooey.blogspot.com