Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Is Nail Art Still a Thing? | Man Repeller

If the paint jobs at NYFW are to be believed, then the trend that never really went away is definitely making a comeback. And while the nail art at Adam Selman, Cushnie Et Ochs and Wes Gordon was cleaner and more graphic than in years past, it would still take near ninja/brain surgeon/Bob Ross levels of proficiency and patience to achieve. I guess I should be honest about the reason I’m asking this, because IF nail art is still the presiding manicure ethos…

I

just

can’t.

I literally cannot paint anymore small squiggly lines on my nails. It’s a fruitless task. In the early days of nail art mania, I was as enthralled as anyone. I spent countless Netflix marathons painting tiny little works of art onto my digits, only to find that I was woefully incapable of recreating anything painted on my left hand, on my dominant right hand. Even worse, it would all chip the next day. Would anything in the art world exist if the artist knew it would be destroyed the very next day? Perhaps not.

There was also this: upon showing one of my many creations to my boyfriend I was met not with the usual obligatory affirmation or even a disinterested side eye, but a grimace. And as you might have guessed, I didn’t let it end there.

Me: What? Don’t you think it looks good?

BF: I don’t know.

Me: What do you mean you don’t know?

BF: It’s just kind of, uhhh, Zooey Deschanel.

Me: ?!?!?!

BF: You know, like you’re the kind of girl that has hours to draw little things all over her nails…kinda kooky.

As I recall, I left the conversation feeling maybe a little insulted (poor Zooey Deschanel!), but also empowered because like most things that the boyfriend doesn’t approve of, nail art exists in that gray area between fabulousness and insanity. Of course, I knew right away that he was correct about one thing: anyone even slightly busier than myself would have no place in their life for nail art. Would Hillary Clinton or Tina Fey ever have the time to request tiny expressionist masterpieces for their fingernails?

Unlikely.

So help me out here, because I’m ready to hang up my paint brushes for good. Nail art: are you feeling it?

Source:

http://ift.tt/1HQMIfG



The Late News from http://ift.tt/1j2mf3h