Saturday, February 25, 2012

To Have and Have Not « books, music, movies & more

The Story
Recently
To Have and Have Not « books, music, movies & more
Feb 25th 2012, 23:03

February 25, 2012 mikemaehr

I checked in on another round of To Have and Have Not, the 1944 film starring Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall. I had just watched Casablanca again and so was tuned into Bogart. Kind of similar in that they are war/adventure/romance based and keep things moving with lots of cocktails and of course, cigarette scenes. I have to admit a certain fascination with Bacall as well (for some reason I always connect her with Faye Dunaway but that is a different story). In between watching Eddie's confusion over being between binges and digging the casual Hoagy Carmichael tinkling the ivories I checked out what Wikipedia had to offer in addition to the picture below.

Lauren Bacall with Hoagy Carmichael

I was reminded that this was the screen debut of Lauren Bacall, but even better I also found out that Bacall was the first cousin of ex Israel President and Prime Minister Shimon Peres.  Good stuff! A lot more to this movie than is obvious at first glance. It is based somewhat loosely on the novel from Ernest Hemmingway by the same name. Can't say that I have read this, but have just put it on my to do list. I guess that "Slim" – the Bacall character – is a prostitute in the book, while in the movie she is a sultry singer. The disjunct between her speaking and singing voice reminds me of current actress Zooey Deschanel. I did not find out whether the name of the character played by Bogart, Captain Morgan, has any connection to the beverage of the same name. Either way, every time I heard his name I thought of the "Calling all Captains" commercials.

Like this:

Be the first to like this post.

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this feed at blogtrottr.com.

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe from this feed, or manage all your subscriptions