Monday, March 5, 2012

The Human Experiment: When style trumps personality

The Story
Recently
The Human Experiment: When style trumps personality
Mar 6th 2012, 00:49

I feel like I shouldn't smile in my new glasses...

Alright, so I made the leap.  A new pair of frames, because my old ones were 2 prescriptions short of allowing me to see. I have to say, these last 4 hours have been such a huge relief, because I don't have to squint while reading, I can look at people and immediately recognize them, and I'm not getting huge headaches from uncorrected astygmatism.

When I got these new glasses, I bought them online. I tried them on my face, and brought a frame that would best fit my face. And I'm in love.

Cute, right?

But here's the thing. They're big and black, and make me feel like I'm part of the "hipster" fad. Which makes me feel like I shouldn't smile in them.

I know this is ridiculous, but just try googling Zooey Deschanel's name. Tons of pictures pop up of someone looking to the side, all cute and whimsical. Usually not smiling. And it works for her, it really does. Mostly because this is 100% a reflection of her personality (or at least the one she's allowed us to believe)

NOT ME.
But I've discovered a new fashion "problem" through this fad. I call it, "When Style trumps personality." Now, I mightt be being slight hypocritical, as I sit here with my iPhone, finishing my vegetarian meal, water bottle in hand, typing a blog, finishing papers for a yoga class, and I'm actually listening to a playlist called "Hipster international" on Spotify.

These things may not be unique, and I don't pretend for a second to be extremely original, but they are me. If there is one thing I'm great at in this life, it is expressing my personality.

I'm not afraid to speak my mind, and I tend towards action when I'm frustrated with something. My fashion? Shirts, sweaters, scarves, skinny jeans, boots, leggings. Really not that bright or interesting colors, but mostly bright accents. I'm obsessed with fossil, and I believe simplicity is the best fashion statement.

But my point is, whoever you are, be that. Don't be a fad. I love shopping, because it's a way that you can express your personality to the world.

I look at people on this campus, and sometimes I wonder if they're just trying to be like the crowd, or just trying to fit in, or if it is their personality.

All I'm saying is, I might have hipster frames, but I am definitely going to keep smiling. It's who I am, and it's who I will always be. Part of why I love the Kardashian's so much, are that no matter who they are, they are 100% themselves. Sex tapes and all.

On a more fun, compeltely hilarious note, I am guilty of almost all of these things (I just wish that this computer were a mac).


You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this feed at blogtrottr.com.

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe from this feed, or manage all your subscriptions