Sunday, March 18, 2012

STATUS Features » Block Party: The Wonder Years

The Story
Recently
STATUS Features » Block Party: The Wonder Years
Mar 19th 2012, 03:14

Not even into their twenties (or even their teens) yet, and these young actors have already explored the moon, battled tributes to death, lived on cruise decks, and sipped tea with Johnny Depp. Down-to-earth and smarter than some yuppies we know, they still say the darndest things.
BP-Daryl Sabara-03

DARYL SABARA — 19 years old

(Edgar Rice Burroughs in John Carter)

"Best part of growing up: Learning more and more about myself everyday.

Worst part of growing up: Learning more and more about myself everyday… cue song: "Pursuit of Happiness" by KiD CuDi."

How are you this fine afternoon?
I'm home and I just had a teriyaki bowl. This afternoon I'll be reading the new Steve Jobs Biography, alternately watching some old episodes of ER, and answering these questions… I'm great!

You've actually been an actor for most of your life, so what are some of the differences you've noticed between you and other kids who grew up more "regularly," so to speak?
Actually, I technically started when I was 5 weeks old. I'm a twin, and my twin and I were the baby on Murphy Brown. Of course that was just kind of a fluke, but I really found myself interested in acting in television and movies when I was about 3. That's when I started bugging my Mom that I wanted to be an everyday TV boy.
I see my childhood as pretty regular. I went to public school, played sports, did Tae-Kwon-Do, rode my bike around the neighborhood with the neighborhood kids…normal kid stuff. When I was growing up, all of the acting work felt less like work and more like play, including the opportunities to travel. When I went to London for the first time, my brother and I tried to make the palace guards laugh…they take their job very seriously. When I went to Paris, the first thing we did was go to The Louvre. So even though I went to all of these really cool places, in addition to the work stuff, I always found time to do the regular kid stuff.

Your career has spanned roles ranging from animated to wizardly to butchered bully to angsty teen etc. What's it like shifting through these personalities from role to role?
Shifting through the different personalities is the fun of it. It's like it's Halloween everyday. My favorite part of what I do is "the before—all of the research and character work. Even though that might sound like "work," it doesn't feel like it, because I love it so much.

What's it like being in "Young Hollywood," aka representing, somehow, the future of the industry? (Not to put any pressure on you. Haha)
It's weird. I just look back to some of the actors I admire—Robert Downey Jr., Johnny Depp…and see how they've grown from being known as actors in "Young Hollywood." I try to learn from their success and also learn from their mistakes. E! True Hollywood Stories lay it all out in an hour.

What are your thoughts on your Young Hollywood "peers," in general? And, as I just noticed when I typed that out, how do you feel being in a minority (aka a male actor)?
I think it's a lot easier for guys. Unless you're Justin Bieber, most of Young Hollywood revolves around girls and what they're wearing and who they're dating etc etc.

What are the best and worst parts of "growing up?"
Best part of growing up: Learning more and more about myself everyday.
Worst part of growing up: Learning more and more about myself everyday… cue song: "Pursuit of Happiness" by KiD CuDi.

You mentioned way back that you used to read The Polar Express every year. What are your current un-put-downable books?
The Steve Jobs Biography is currently next me and I also just downloaded The Jungle by Upton Sinclair.

Besides adaptations, everyone knows 3D is the movie industry's current hot topic. What trend do you think will be in store for us next?
I have no idea, I just want to be a part of it.

Lastly, what's in store for your future? Go ahead, dish the top secret stuff.
I started writing. I always told myself that when I started writing, I was going to be completely creative and NOT write about what I know. Then I started writing, and realized that I needed to write about what I know, to get it out of my system. I wrote a pilot with some friends, and that's as top secret as I'm getting.
BP-Willow Shields-02

WILLOW SHIELDS — 11 years old

(Primrose Everdeen in The Hunger Games)

"What I've learned from Roald Dahl is that adults can be a little strange and that kids can do amazing things. Also, nothing beats a bar of chocolate."

How are you this fine day?
I'm great! I was actually cleaning up a mess. I'm on a kick making my own natural bath stuff…salts, fizzies. I got salt and baking soda all over the kitchen.

Clearly, you're pretty young. How does it feel to be leading a very "non-average" (so to speak) life, especially at your age?
All this excitement about The Hunger Games has been amazing! I do get to do some fun things and meet some cool people, but my life is pretty normal most of the time. I do school at home everyday and I do chores just like everyone else. I just stacked firewood for example! It's pretty cold here right now. So, my life is not really all that different from other kids my age.

Of course, gotta talk about The Hunger Games. What's it like working with a bunch of other talented young actors? (Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, Alex Ludwig, Liam Hemsworth, etc.)
It's like a dream! I would never have imagined being offered a part in The Hunger Games. Everyone I worked with on set would be someone I would want to be like when I grow up. All of them are great actors, but they are also kind and fun to be around. I especially bonded with Jennifer and if I could have a career like hers, that would be perfect!

Did you read the books? What'd you think?
Before my audition, I was reading The Hunger Games. It wasn't until after I got the part of Prim that I finished the series. The books are fantastic, and I love the world Suzanne Collins created.

We love to read; books make it easy to pretend we're smart. What are some of the most important things you've learned from books?
I love to read too! One of my all time favorite authors is Roald Dahl. Anything by him! What I've learned from him is that adults can be a little strange and that kids can do amazing things. Also, nothing beats a bar of chocolate.

We hear you're also into art. What do you do to keep your creative juices flowing?
Well, I keep an art journal. They're great! In it I can draw, collage or write anything I want. Plus, you can take it with you pretty much anywhere. I try to do something creative every day.

The Hunger Games is pretty violent and subversive for a story involving a lot of kids. What's your take on the issue of the youth (that includes you, by the way) supposedly being too exposed to everything nowadays? (Internet, TV, etc.)
Well, my parents limit my time on the computer and I'm still trying to convince them to get me a cell phone. I don't think I will have a cell phone for a while! I think I'm a lot like The Hunger Games fans because I prefer to get hooked on a good book instead of being on the computer all the time.

Funniest thing you heard/saw/experienced lately?
That giraffes have no vocal chords. They have such longs necks…and no vocal chords!

Favorite food?
Vietnamese food or any kind of berries.

Favorite game? (Board game/video game/any game)
Definitely a board game! It's called Apples to Apples. It's a fun game of trying to match words. For example a word drawn may be "delicious" and everyone has to throw in the card they have that best fits that word. It could be "apple pie," "Paris," or "mosquito". The person whose turn it is has to decide which of the words best fit "delicious."

Favorite farm animal?
A pig because I have always loved Charlotte's Web.

Coolest thing you own right now?
A Go-Kart!
BP-Gully McGrath-01

GULLIVER MCGRATH — 13 years old

(David Collins in Dark Shadows)

"When I go to auditions, I prefer to make friends with the other kids to make it easier if I do not get the part."

Firstly, have you done much interviews lately?
This is my first interview ever, so the attention is obviously not overwhelming.

How do you usually spend your down time?
There are no specific activities I do whilst I am not filming besides spending time with my family.

Could you tell us about how you started out acting in the first place? Was it a natural process, you wanting to do movies and such?
I started through a casting agency that came to my school for a kid to do a advertisement which I auditioned for and received the part for.

There seems to be more and more roles for younger actors these days. What's that like, and how competitive has it become? And at auditions, do you sort of try and psych out the other kids or what?
When we audition for jobs we usually make tapes at home, but when I go to auditions, I prefer to make friends with the other kids to make it easier if I do not get the part.

So far, what would you say are the best and worst parts of "growing up?"
I'll let you know when I've finished growing up!

Any interesting personal ghost stories you might have? And if not, what are some of the scariest things you've seen or dreamt of?
The scariest thing I have done was go on a ride called Oblivion at Alton Towers, a theme park in England.

What are you looking forward to the most in the coming year?
The Hobbit is released next year and I am very much looking forward to seeing it. I love Ian McClelland as Gandalf.

Lastly, a couple of rapid fire questions:
Favorite game? (Board game/video game/etc?)
Runescape

Worst food you've tasted?
Berty Botts Every Flavour Beans

Funniest thing you heard/saw/experienced lately?
My brothers Zen and Winta have always been the funniest things in my life.

Coolest thing you own right now?
Predator constructible model

Favorite place in Australia?
Melbourne

Last book you read?
Skulduggery Pleasant: Mortal Coil
BP-Debby Ryan-03

DEBBY RYAN — 18 years old

(Jessie in Jessie)

"I love playing imperfect characters."

How are you this fine morning?
I am well, thanks! Cleaning Casanova's [the set bunny] litter box set me a bit behind this morning. Currently, I am trying to find my other boot so I can leave for work with enough time to stop in Los Feliz for coffee.

We love you in Jessie! Now, we know you're pretty mature for your age, pardon the cliche, but what's it like being a kid playing a kid who takes care of even younger kids on TV?
Yeah, sounds like my life! I am a total kid at heart, and youth is something I will always make sure to preserve. That said, there are a lot of adult responsibilities that come with my life, so I feel like Jessie has to have that balance too. I love playing imperfect characters. Jessie is new at being a nanny—she makes mistakes, but she loves the children and earnestly wants the best for them. Ultimately, that is what keeps everything together. Behind the scenes, I love being that for the kids. We bake together, I run lines with them, I give the girls manicures, explain the secrets and the quirks of working on a sitcom, and we all talk about life. It is really gratifying. I believe in all four of them as actors and comedians and as human beings, and I am loving watching them grow.

What are the best and worst parts of "growing up?"
I think the worst part about growing up is the moment that you realize that your parents are human. They aren't perfect, they don't have all the answers; they have a past and do make mistakes. When you look at your parents, and know that not long ago, they were battling some of the same stuff you are, and that in twenty-something or however many years, that could be you. Then, I think the best part is taking that knowledge, seeing their flaws and their strengths, their mistakes and their victories, and being able to use all of that to shape you into the person you're becoming. It's horrifying and empowering and frustrating and beautiful. So is growing up.

What do you think of the trend of women having an even stronger presence in entertainment now, with more central characters/roles in TV shows and movies than ever?
I definitely believe that young women are incredibly valuable and powerful and underrated, especially by themselves, so I'm glad there are some strong, smart, classy, capable yet feminine role models out there now. It's amazing to watch women emerge as a force in Hollywood as actresses, producers, show runners, scriptwriters, authors, businesswomen, brands, and philanthropists.
People like Tina Fey, Shonda Rhimes, Tyra Banks, Pam Eells, Lauren Conrad, Debra Martin Chase, Oprah, Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen, and Heidi Klum have paved the way for young women like me to be able to step up and make my mark on the industry, and the world. I admire Emma Stone's ability to be a fearlessly goofy comedian, a sexy tough-girl, and a touching actress. I love the unparralleled quirkiness that is Zooey Deschanel, as a film actress, TV star, singer/writer/msuician. Taylor Swift calls the shots in all aspects of her creative outlets, but also embraces her femininity and vulnerability with class. I'm stoked to watch Hollywood and the world recognize and get behind these kinds of power.

I love your taste in music (Not kidding. I've read your Tumblr blog). How do you feel about the limitless choices our generation now have regarding music? Are we broadening our tastes too much or is the future made even more outstanding with our eclectic mix-matchiness?
Thank you for reading it! Yeah, I enjoy writing. I've got to write. and I like to share different music I find, so it's cool that there are eyes on my little secret blog. I have such a respect for the founding fathers of modern music, but I do think it's cool that over the years, we've not only broadened our instrumental and production abilities, but what's acceptable in the mainstream as well. I feel like this generation of listeners is predominantly marked with fuzzy genre boundaries.
Listen to the radio for an hour and you'll probably get a reggae-based track, a doowop inspired song, some ultra electronic synths, live instrument rock, and a character rap with an alt hook. Entertainment value has settled into a cool place too. Every generation has their Freddie Mercury, or their Gene Simmons, or their Joan Jetts. The rule-breakers. The fiercely individual, and I don't think the 2010s are an exception. This will be a decade to watch, for sure. WOOT.

Slightly related to that, what does "originality" mean nowadays, with so much content being churned out daily on any medium? How do ideas today retain originality?
I think originality is looking at the same things that exist for everyone, and seeing them with your own eyes. Arranging and compiling and creating in a way that is just sincerely inspired by you. Not trying to be different for the sake of being different, but allowing your mind to dream up new thoughts. True art inspires, changes, moves or reveals or reflects a unique beauty and insight.

Getting a bit too serious! Haha. Before we end, let's lighten the mood: What are your "I'm-too-old-for-this-stuff" guilty pleasures?
Glow in the dark stars on my treehouse ceiling, and wearing a plastic tiara when I clean my room. Also… I do enjoy a good ball pit.

Celebrity crushes?
Don't try to set me up with them. Ummmm… I have a celeb crush on a blog or two. I've got mad word-love. Or Orlando Bloom, but pretty much mainly as Legolas. Stop judging me.

Lastly, if you could have any pet (even wilder than a giant monitor lizard, perhaps), what would it be and why?
I've been wanting a ball python snake for years. My mom refuses to endorse that idea. Or a giant white tiger… Platipus… Peacock… hmmm. I may adopt a circus. FINE. In real life, I'll probably own a couple of handsome horses someday.

Story by Giano D. Dionisio
Debby Ryan photo courtesy of AC Magazine
Willow Shields photo by Rob Shields
Gulliver McGrath photo by Edward Shaw
Daryl Sabara photo by Tal Karusso, grooming by Jane Cohen

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this feed at blogtrottr.com.

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe from this feed, or manage all your subscriptions