Saturday, March 3, 2012

Once upon a time in Alex land....: Feature Interview - Life Is Art: Sofie ...

Blogtrottr
The Story
Recently
Once upon a time in Alex land....: Feature Interview - Life Is Art: Sofie ...
Mar 3rd 2012, 12:08

Finally, thanks to a reminder from a fan, I have started a new feature! This series of interviews will be with photographers that are fascinated by life, by light, by locations and by capturing a feeling. I am focusing on those photographers that capture those moments...

And the first interview is with a lovely photographer whom I found when we exchanged letters, something we bonded over when I was searching for penpals on a day when I was feeling low. She cheered me up no end when I recieved a package of her prints, and I simply has to interview her from seeing her beautiful images :)

Here is Sofie Olejnik!

'There is no right or wrong there is just you and your vision of a striking photo'

 
yearning for spring

1. Fill me in on your background, where are you from and how did you get in to photography?

I was born in Poland and moved to Germany at the age of five.I have one older sister who lives in Berlin and we get a long perfectly.

I live in Dortmund and I am happy I did not grew up in the middle of the city but closer to the nature.
I like silence more than a loud and hectic city.

I have always had an interest in pictures.When I was little I used to collect cards with beautiful pictures on them, I had hundrets of them . two years ago I borrowed my sisters camera and realised how it feels like when you look through a viewfinder and capture what you see. I used my film cameras a while and then I decided to get my own DSLR. I started shooting my surrounding in 2010 but was never really happy with that. My dream was to capture the beauty of human beings especially girls, to dress them and be creative with colors and shapes. In August 2011 I started to work with girls who are mostly friends or models. Thats what I really wanted to do.

I am yours and you are mine
2. Who has influenced you the most in terms of photography?

When I came across flickr I was stunned by the talent people have and the way they capture human´s beauty in a photo using light, colors, shapes and clothing. At the beginning that influenced me the most.

strawberry kiss

'Photography that conveys carefreeness, beauty and lust for life is what I like the most'
3. What is your favourite style of photography (Self portraiture? Fashion? Documentary)?

Photography that conveys carefreeness, beauty and lust for life is what I like the most. I like fashion photography only when it is not to strange and women don´t look like dolls.

around my neck
4. What is your process when taking photo's, from getting ideas to editing?

When I have an idea I make some notes and put together the styling. I have friends with amazing wardrobes which I borrow or i visit vintage stores, buy something in a clothing shop or its my own wardrobe. I send all my ideas to the model and we usually meet at my apartment. At the same day of shooting I don´t do any editing just transfer my files to my computer and take a fresh look at it the next day.

∫ I let my hair down for you ∫

5. What are your tools of the trade?

I have a canon 5d mark II and a 50mm 1.4 lens. A few film cameras , a plan film camera which is really great and i edit in ps cs5

black lace

6. Where do you hope to go with your photography?

I would love to shoot lookbooks involving outdoor locations or small campaings one day.

floral absence

'I do photography because I can express my feelings this way'

7. Why do you think people are drawn to photography?

I think it is about emotions. I do photography because I can express my feelings this way. People feel understand by photography.

stoned tess

8. What draws you to a particular model? What do you look for in a model?

Charisma and naturalness.

flower addict

9. What are some of your favourate things?

My favourite things right now are dresses , I just can´t get enough of them.


10. What is your best tip to taking a striking photo?

Not being skeptical about what you do and enjoy taking photos.


11. Your photos seem to incorporate your surroundings and the elements, is this a big part of your style?

Yes it´s a part of my style , but a small one. When I started getting into photography I only had my surroundings and I still enjoy photos that where shot outdoors the most. I have now experience shooting in a studio so I don´t know how I would think about it. If I get the change I will definetly try it and that might become part of my style as well. I need to try things first before judging about it.

traveling through nature
12. What is your favourite photo taken by another photographer? (Link and describe why)

There are too many photos i come across every week so I don´t have only one. But I would love to share one I saw recently.

Julianne Moore was photographed by Yelena Yemchuk. I love the careless hair flipping pose , no stiff modeling poses. Absolutely great.

http://fashiongonerogue.com/julianne-moore-yelena-yemchuk-magazine-ss-2012/

13. What is your favourite photo you have taken? (Link and describe why)

It is one of a natural beauty called sarah. It is from a shooting a few days ago. She looks very feminine and smelancholic in this photo.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=193233067448888&set=a.131483083623887.21356.120764924695703&type=1&theater

'I don´t read much, I prefer to look at pictures'

14. What are some of your favourite films, books and musicians?

I like listening to Robyn or Angus and Julia Stone´s music. Bee season is one of my favorite films, I just love the whole story and the way they produced the film.Flora cross played her role just amazing.Another one is chocolat .I would love to photograph Juliette Binoche one day. My favourite book is extremely loud and incredibly close. But I don´t read much, I prefer to look at pictures =)

asian dreams

15. What has been your biggest achievement so far with your photography?

Being featured in a few online magazines really made me happy or to get my first paid job was a big achievement for me .I was asked to shoot someones wedding because they like my style was very flattering too.

warmth & cold

16. Do you think it's hard to be original in photography? How do you keep your ideas original and fresh?

Yes i think it is not that easy and people start copying each other. I try not to doubt my work and ideas ,what I used to do, and to do what feels good.

There is no right or wrong there is just you and your vision of a striking photo.

warmth & cold

17. Which photographer do you think I should interview next and why?

Yelena Yemchuk. her work is original and fresh.

girl of the leaves
18. Do you often change a lot of the original photo in Photoshop?

Not any more. I used to do. But its a waist of time.

covered in roses
'I just try to put some Sofie flair to it'

19. Do you think you have an original style that is you own?

Photographing girls is not a new invention. I don´t think I have a totally different style. I just try to put some Sofie flair to it and to do it the way I like it.

IMG_3896
20. Do you prefer studio or location?

I have never worked in a studio so I can´t tell. So far I am totally happy shooting outdoors.

traveling through nature
21. If you could photograph any person alive or dead who would it be and why?

Zooey deschanel. vivid and naturally good looking is what comes to my mind first when I see her.

her name is betty

22. Give us the skinny, what's the next big project you've got coming up?

I am working on an editorial with a lovely girl I got to know through the internet. A few photos got accepted for a magazine which I am very happy about and

Can´t wait to get a printed copy.

23. Which actor would play you in the film of your life?

Hard question for my I don´t know many actors. I don´t think anyone would like to be me in my film of life =)

asian dreams
24. What did you want to grow up to be when you were a kid?

I wanted to work in a library.

yearning for spring

Thank you Sofie :)

Please see more of her beautiful work here!

xx

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this feed at blogtrottr.com.

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe from this feed, or manage all your subscriptions